History of Waldomore
Waldomore is a neoclassical two story brick mansion with single story wings. It was constructed on four acres of land for Waldo Potter Goff and his wife Harriet in 1840-2. Waldo had an established career as a politician and business man (both as a merchant and later on in real estate). Together, Waldo and Harriet had nine children: four boys and five girls.
After Waldo's death in 1881, the house passed to Waldo's eldest surviving daughter May. In the 1890s, May and her husband Richard Lowndes renovated the mansion enlarging and adding a second floor to the four wings of the house.
May Goff Lowndes died in 1930, gifting her home to the city of Clarksburg to be used as a library and museum. The name Waldomore was derived from Waldo and his wife Harriet's maiden name as a way for May to honor the memory of her parents.
To accommodate the library, the first and second floors were renovated to create large reading rooms. and the central stairs were shifted into the old pantry. On June 1, 1931, the library opened to patrons. In 1975, the library was constructed on the site of the Ritz Theatre.
Today, the building is used as a genealogical research library, local history archive, and museum associated with the Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library.
Waldomore exemplifies and preserves items of historical and genealogical significance for Clarksburg, Harrison County, and North Central West Virginia. Waldomore maintains a space for events of civic, cultural or educational nature; and fosters opportunities for the community to interact with their history.